Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh, the joys of being a graduate student instructor

You know, I find that being in grad school this many years has really changed my approach to dress when I get up in the morning. Instead of, "Do I look cute?" the questions become:

"Is my body covered adequately?"
"Will I be unbearably hot/cold?"
"Have I avoided looking like an ENORMOUS freak?"
"Is the odor of the clothes I have taken off my bedroom floor minimal enough not to cause offense?"
"Can I be REASONABLY confident that I've done everything to avoid that when my undergraduate students run into each other in the bar, at a frat party, or in the ladies room, they won't be conversing about my body and clothes?" (I know some of them will, no matter what I do.)

sigh. I wish I had the time and money to buy a new wardrobe, lose 30 pounds, reliably use my anti-acne, anti-psoriasis, and anti-aging skin treatments and go to the gym.

But today, at least I am showered and no one can see my ass crack.

That's something, at least.

3 comments:

j-dub said...

my thoughts usually consist of:

1) is today a shower day?

IF YES:

2) is there enough time to shower?

and a similar logic test regarding shaving.

The clothing...well, somehow that just happens. I've yet to accidentally come in wearing my pajamas, so that's gotta be a good sign.

Anonymous said...

The joy of being over 30...

* an event where I want to dress as formal as possible
* which will get me twice the feedback: you are wearing a shirt!
* and three times: why didn't you iron it?
* which I did twice, actually
* and one time: well people pay lots of money to have it look that way
* having this been heard just when I tried to impress a woman.
* having pants on that I also ironed, without them being cleaned
* since I only had one shirt left and had to fit the pants to the shirt
* and having lost 20 pounds as planned (or as hoped)

this, eventually is the joy of being over 30.

Back to T-Shirt and Jeans again.

Marcell with regards

Anonymous said...

NOT having lost 20 pounds. Leaving out the NOT was wishful thinking...

marcell