Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Plant Mystery, continued.

I've tried comparing my little sample against the list of weeds offered by the Illinois Council on Food and Agricultural Research, but I haven't found a match. I've done a less comprehensive search on the British site Find Me Plants and the Ladybird Johnson native plant database (Oh, how I miss the wonderful Wildflower Center in Austin!)

I'm inclined to think that it is some kind of herb that I did plant last year, though I still have not a clue which. In part, because it doesn't appear anywhere besides the one spot where it is. It seems very healthy and robust, but it is definitively situated where it is, unlike most weeds that have a tendency to spread all over the damned place, like Creeping Charlie (which covers most of my garden plot, sadly), and Purslane (which likes to hide everywhere else).
Above: Creeping Charlie and Purslane, two of my most pernicious weeds here in Livingston County, Michigan; photos from the Illinois Council on Food and Agricultural Research.

So . . . tonight I planted both my Blue Lake beans and my Japanese eggplants, despite the fact that I was being dive-bombed by mosquitoes, and was half-drunk on beer from my growler from Grizzly Peak. Now I just have a few more veggies to put in the ground. I wish the bugs would go away for long enough. . .

Another beautiful sunset.

Mmm, simple pleasures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! No! Not a weed! Not a weed!

Purslane is THE most omega-3-rich plant there is! And we need our omega-3s badly, they're telling us now.

I am begging Becca to bring me some from her farm, where it does grow wild as a weed. it sells for big money to the foodies out here...

Here is what I plan to make for my first attempt (since purslane has a strong - but tasty! - flavor, I want to pair it with some other robust veggies): http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOPPED-ARABIC-SALAD-109458
or ooh, yum... this one:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MASSIMOS-FARINELLA-13223

Ms Heather said...

oh wow!! very, very interesting. when i first saw purslane in my garden, i was struck by what a pretty succulent it was. strangely enough, i don't see much of it this year. maybe the conditions haven't been as favorable for it. the creeping charlie is going wild, though.

sadly, so are the mosquitoes, so i'm trying to work in shorter shifts to keep them at bay so i don't need to start wearing deet or something. as it is i'm itching like CRAZY today.

Ms Heather said...

I found another recipe that looks intriguing.

Ms Heather said...

And some more. . .

Here