Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The thin ice of modern life

So, after my walk today, I was 100% convinced that it was time to buy a thing I heard about from a hard-core runner from the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for those of you who aren't Michiganders) in one of my MSW classes: Yaktrax. Why is this so important? Well, the driveway to my cottage is so thoroughly glazed with ice, I almost did a full slide down it when I got to the top of the hill, found myself sliding, and had to move with hands AND feet toward the side of the road to avoid falling completely. A neighbor on her way into the subdivision in her car seemed to be having a good laugh at me. I was a little irked.

Well, I've started salting the driveway, I've been parking at my neighbor's for the past few days, and I've ordered my Yaktrax over the internet. Now, it's time to see about getting snow tires. As a Californian, I'm a bit clueless about this stuff. Smart Michigan friends, do you have any suggestions?

No comments: